March 13, 2022 5 min read
Hey everyone! Spring is in the air, which means it's time for a little spring cleaning. But this year, let's do things a little differently. Instead of using harsh chemicals that can be harmful to the environment, why not try some earth-friendly tips instead? Check out these spring cleaning tips that are good for the Earth and see how easy it is to make your home sparkle without harming nature.
There are many ways to approach spring cleaning. Some people like to do it all at once, while others prefer to spread it out over a period of time. You can also decide how comprehensive you want your cleaning to be.
If the thought of spring cleaning sends you into a tizzy (like me!) you may want to start with a printable spring cleaning planner.
This can help you map out what you want to accomplish and when.
Once you have a plan, you can start tackling your cleaning project and kick those dust bunnies to the curb!
If you're looking for ways to make your cleaning more earth-friendly, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
First, try to avoid using harsh chemicals. There are many natural alternatives that work just as well (and often better!) than chemical-based cleaners. You can find recipes for DIY cleaning solutions online or at your local health food store. White vinegar, baking soda, borax, citrus fruit, and empty spray bottles are all part of a basic natural cleaning kit. You may also want hydrogen peroxide, cornstarch, castile soap, tea tree oil, and other essential oils for scent.
Second, focus on reducing waste. Go paperless where possible. This may mean investing in reusable cleaning cloths and products, or simply being more mindful of the number of paper towels you use. Personally, we quit buying napkins and paper towels years ago. We simply wash and reuse washcloths, hand towels, and microfiber rags! Old cotton t-shirts work great, too.
Finally, think about the water you're using. If possible, try to clean with gray water (recycled water from your shower or sink) or rainwater. This will save valuable resources and help reduce your environmental impact.
Spring cleaning is important for a number of reasons. First, it's a great opportunity to declutter your home and get rid of anything you no longer need or use. This can not only make your space feel lighter and brighter, but it can also help you reduce stress and live a more minimalist lifestyle.
Second, spring cleaning is a chance to deep clean your home. This means getting into all the nooks and crannies that you may have been ignoring during the winter months. A thorough cleaning can help remove dust, dirt, germs, and allergens from your home, making it a healthier place to live.
Third, spring cleaning is simply good for the soul. There's something about starting fresh that just feels good.
1. Use green cleaning products. Your first step should be to use green cleaning products instead of traditional products that contain harsh chemicals. These products are better for your own health as well as the environment. This is because they're non-toxic and are generally made from renewable resources. My favorite place to shop for my green cleaning products is Grove Collaborative.
2. Make your own cleaning products. You don't even need to purchase "green" specific cleaning products. You can clean just as well using homemade cleaning solutions made from baking soda and white vinegar. The acidic properties of white vinegar are so strong that it can dissolve mineral deposits, dirt, grease, and grime, and kill bacteria. They're the ultimate all-purpose cleaners and can clean nearly any surface. Hydrogen peroxide is also a fantastic multipurpose cleaner.
3. Air out your home. One of the easiest and best ways to bring a natural and clean feeling to your home is to simply air it out. This will flow out toxins and rejuvenate your home in a completely natural way. The best part: All you need to do is open the windows!
4. Keeping your air fresh. Do you use air fresheners to keep your house smelling nice? Rather than buying ready-made fresheners, you can go with something completely natural, instead. Herbs and plants give off pleasant odors. Essential oils are a very popular and natural way to make your home smell fresh and clean! Plant Therapy essential oils are my FAV!
5. Use green cleaning services. Maybe you don't always have time to complete your cleaning on your own, especially the deeper cleaning that's usually associated with spring cleaning. Shop your local area for people advertising green cleaning services; it'll take the work out of green cleaning for you and you know you'll be doing the best thing for your home and family.
6. Prevent unnecessary dirt. You can also use spring cleaning time to bring out some new home rules created with prevention, instead of clean-up, in mind. For example, think of the floors and all the dirty, toxic materials that get brought in on your shoes. Simply start a "no shoes indoors" policy and your house will stay cleaner in the first place.
7. Air-dry your laundry. During spring cleaning, you might be taking the time to wash many larger items like blankets and comforters. Find a clothesline and air dry these if possible. The carbon footprint of a typical household can be reduced by 2,400 pounds each year if it air dries its clothing. When you do use the dryer, wool dryer balls are an amazing alternative to dryer sheets. In fact, we ditched dryer sheets years ago and have been using wool dryer balls ever since!
8. Cleaning your furniture. You can even make your own wood cleaners and polish them with healthy, natural ingredients. Use a combination of olive oil and lemon juice to clean and polish your wood furniture. This cleaner produces a shiny and pleasant smelling finish.
Going green with your spring cleaning is a great idea. You're helping the planet, exposing yourself to fewer chemicals, and saving money at the same time. I'll admit bleach has its place, but oftentimes, it's just best to go natural.
Follow these tips to help you go green when you clean! Did we miss any other spring cleaning tips that are good for the earth? Let us know in the comments below!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
August 15, 2022 4 min readRead More
WANT ALL THE EXCITING NEWS FIRST? All the latest tips and tricks, exclusive discounts, free printables, & product launches straight to your email.